Halloween Costume Inspiration: Little Ladybug Trick-or-Treat bag
This bag came out so much cuter than I could have predicted. My 22 month-old daughter loves it and calls it a purse. I made it using the leftover fabric from the wings. I am keeping it nice until Halloween, but after that I plan to let her use it whenever she wants.
I don't have pictures of each step, but I do have a detailed tutorial on how to make a trick-or-treat bag. If you are confused about the steps refer to that tutorial. One main difference is that working with felt is so much easier. You don't have to press or hem anything.
Black Felt (we used sparkly)
Black Ric Rac
Hot glue gun and sewing machine, black or red thread.
1. Cut out two pieces of red felt. I cut my 10"x10" which is a perfect size for a toddler.
2. Cut out a strap. I cut mine 2"x19" I wanted it to fit over her shoulder, like a purse. And I only did one strap on this bag. You could do two straps and make them shorter to be hand held instead.
3. Hot glue ric-rac along the top edge of each fabric piece allowing a bit to hang over the edge on each side.
4. Place two felt pieces together with the ric-rac to the inside. Sew along 3 sides. Trim ric-rac
5. **optional. Pinch corners into a triangle and sew a straight line to make the bag more of a rectangular box shape (please see my trick-or-treat bag tutorial. **Refer to the optional steps)
6. Leaving bag wrong side out, pin the strap to sides of bag about an inch from the top. Sew a rectangle to hold it in place.
7. Trace several circles in the black felt. My bag has 12 spots. I traced a lid for my pattern and used a white crayon to trace on the wrong side. Arrange the spots in a pleasing pattern (the felt sticks to each other)
8. Hot glue the spots in place. And now you are done!!
And here is the only picture I got of my busy toddler holding the bag, looking at the camera, AND smiling. Of course, I had the setting on manual focus and was NOT quick enough to change the settings and capture the moment. Try as I might, I did not get a second chance at this shot. Oh well. You can kind of tell how cute she is ;)